Blacknell.net

April 10th, 2010

Hard Work

Posted in Society by MB

One of the few things that moves me to near-violence is when I hear some soft-handed twit prattle on about how anyone can succeed in this country so long as they’re willing to “work hard”. Sounds like that’s something Matt Tabbai and I have in common. He quotes David Brooks:

David Brooks: Yes. I was going to say that for the first time in human history, rich people work longer hours than middle class or poor people. How do you construct a rich versus poor narrative when the rich are more industrious?

and then goes on to say:

I would give just about anything to sit David Brooks down in front of some single mother somewhere who’s pulling two shitty minimum-wage jobs just to be able to afford a pair of $19 Mossimo sneakers at Target for her kid, and have him tell her, with a straight face, that her main problem is that she doesn’t work as hard as Jamie Dimon.

Only a person who has never actually held a real job could say something like this. There is, of course, a huge difference between working 80 hours a week in a profession that you love and which promises you vast financial rewards, and working 80 hours a week digging ditches for a septic-tank company, or listening to impatient assholes scream at you at some airport ticket counter all day long, or even teaching disinterested, uncontrollable kids in some crappy school district with metal detectors on every door. Most of the work in this world completely sucks balls and the only reward most people get for their work is just barely enough money to survive, if that. The 95% of people out there who spend all day long shoveling the dogshit of life for subsistence wages are basically keeping things running just well enough so that David Brooks, me and the rest of that lucky 5% of mostly college-educated yuppies get to live embarrassingly rewarding and interesting lives in which society throws gobs of money at us for pushing ideas around on paper (frequently, not even good ideas) and taking business trips to London and Paris and Las Vegas.

A-fucking-men.

Both comments and pings are currently closed. RSS 2.0

9 comments

  1. LFS says:

    Y knw wht s wrs thn twts wh try t mk s fl bd fr th rch, twts wh try t mk s fl bd fr th wrkng pr thy knw nthng f bcs thy’v spnt qt bt f tm trvlng th glb n bsnss nd hv s fw cmmtmnts tht whn thy rn’t brnng cps mnts f jt fl thy r cyclng t nd frm wrk t prv hw “grn” thy r. Prhps ths twts shld qt hrshng n Dvd Brks bcs bth thy nd h r lts nd ctlly prsnlly scrfc sgnfcnt tm nd trsr t hlp th wrkng pr whm thy’d rthr shv ff n gvrnmnt hndt s thy (th twts) my ssg thr glt.

    [Where are the vowels?]
    LFS is a troll. Since trolls can only grunt, his comment was adjusted as well.

    April 10th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

  2. Plin says:

    That is an applause-worthy diatribe against my least favorite American (western) myth.

    I have actually struck someone over this argument.

    April 10th, 2010 at 8:51 pm

  3. MB says:

    Disemvoweled to see if it would make any more sense that way.

    Huh. Nope.

    April 11th, 2010 at 11:48 am

  4. LFS says:

    Editting the comments of others now, huh? How “progessive” of you.

    April 11th, 2010 at 2:20 pm

  5. MB says:

    My patience with whiny little children is lessening, these days. If you don’t like it, well . . .

    April 11th, 2010 at 2:57 pm

  6. LFS says:

    Given that you can dish out critism but can’t take it, not even a little bit, you are the one most like a whiny little child. I thought you progressives were holding yourselves out as the smart ones. But all you seem to be able to do is resort to petty namecalling and childish antics. You make George W Bush seem like a genius.

    April 11th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

  7. MB says:

    You seem to be confusing reasoned criticism with flinging poo like a caged monkey. I’m always down for the first. The second? Work out your frustrations somewhere else.

    April 11th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

  8. LFS says:

    h MB, th Mghty Blcknll, sv nthr wrkng pr fmly frm th rvgs f pvrty wth yr spr blg. Ys Mghty Blcknll, nthr sngl mthr n wlfr hs bn lftd p by yr lst spr pst. Yr qttn f thr ppl’s thghts s t mch fr Th Mn nd hs svd th pprssd. Dvd Brks mst hv nghtmrs frm yr thrts f lmst-vlnc nd th mgs f yr sm-mnly frm brkng dwn hs dr t gv hm tng-lshng. Rn Dvd Brks, rn! Th Mghty Blcknll shll sly y wth ncntrvrtbl lnkng nd t-f-cntxt qps. Th pr f th wrld shll nt fr, bcs th Mghty Blcknll wll sn b trvlng t rp r sm thr fr ff dstntn whr h’ll pst yt gn.

    [Where are the vowels?]
    LFS is a troll. Since trolls can only grunt, his comment was adjusted as well.

    April 11th, 2010 at 5:54 pm

  9. MB says:

    Time out for you, LFS. When you can play nice with the other children, you can come back. Until then, think hard about what you’ve done, and why you’re in time out. We’re all sure you can be a good boy.

    April 11th, 2010 at 6:47 pm