Noted via Atrios:
The U.S. State Department has changed its stance on a new Brazilian security process for U.S. citizens entering the South American nation. Washington is now urging Brazil to alter its new process of fingerprinting and photographing U.S. visitors. “We have told the Brazilians that we think that these are measures that provide tremendous inconvenience to travelers and that they need to be changed,” State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Tuesday.
Just last week, Boucher’s deputy — J. Adam Ereli — said the United States understood Brazil’s new policy. “This is their sovereign right to do if they want to do it.” Ereli said.
Brazil’s program began after a similar process was announced for the United States. The US-VISIT program began January 5 and applies to any visitor, including Brazilians, who are required to have visa to enter the United States. Visitors from most European nations are excluded.
Original story here.