I’m still getting used to not cringing when I hear the voice on the radio start a story with “The House voted to . . .” or “Senate leaders are . . .”Â Been down so long, I’m still not used to up.
But things most certainly are looking up.Â In just a couple of short weeks, the House has already acted to:
- increase the minimum wage
- broaden stem cell research
- allow government bargaining on Medicare drug prices
- cut student loan costs
- adopt recommendations from the Sept. 11 Commission and
- roll back energy company tax breaks
And it doesn’t stop there.Â In the Senate, I’ve gone from having two Iraq war cheerleaders to two Senators who publicly oppose Bush’s Iraq plans.Â Now, I expect much more than this from my representatives, but this is a damn good start . . .