Blacknell.net

October 16th, 2010

Taiwan Cycling Festival: Ride from Guanshan to Chihshang

Posted in Cycling, Taiwan, Travel by MB

I’m going to try to share all of my GPS tracks while I’m here, with basic descriptions. Then, as time permits, I’ll head back and expand the descriptions for each, with the idea that they may be useful to someone travelling here in the future.

Today was our first ride: a very easy, flat, but beautiful loop along the Guanshan Round-the-Town Bike Path, then tick-tacking through the rice fields as a shortcut to our accomodations at the Papago Resort Hotel. As a result of an unplanned trip into the water yesterday, I did this ride without a camera, so this short tourism video will have to suffice to give you an idea of the scenery. It’s not long enough to be a destination in and of itself for a touring cyclist, but it’s absolutely worth a stopover or diversion.

Both comments and pings are currently closed. RSS 2.0

9 comments

1. Cycling Taiwan: Guanshan to Chihsheng » Cyclelicious says:

[...] post a little more about later, we finally got a chance to do what we came here for – ride.  I took an unplanned dip into a river yesterday, camera in pocket, so I’m sans ride photos [...]

October 16th, 2010 at 5:39 pm

2. Robert Kelly says:

Almost on the other side of the highway (9) from the hot spring is the route up to Luye, a stunning tea and pineapple growing plateau. The ride on a quiet weekday is perfect, just you rolling past the fields and old communities from the Japanese days. At the top is a massive launch site for parasailing. Great views over the rift valley. Well worth doing since you are right there.

October 17th, 2010 at 9:05 am

3. Drew says:

Wait, you went into the water? Please explain.

October 17th, 2010 at 9:58 pm

4. MB says:

What does it matter, Drew? Everything’s a fuckin’ travesty with you, man!

~

But seriously, uh . . . yeah. We went rafting (of a sort), and I decided to disembark from our raft and claim a rock. The rock disclaimed me, and put me in the river (well over my head). With my new phone (and primary ride camera) in my pocket. I understand there may be pictures.

October 18th, 2010 at 9:58 am

5. MB says:

Robert – we went up there, and saw everything you mention. Really quite nice. Unfortunately the wind was unfavorable for parasailing.

October 18th, 2010 at 10:02 am

6. Drew says:

I pray to the gods there are pictures.

October 18th, 2010 at 11:17 am

7. Robert Kelly says:

Ugh, caught in a typhoon during a bike trip. Must be pouring on you guys down east. What a shame. Hope the hot springs are good.

October 20th, 2010 at 3:10 am

8. MB says:

Rode through all of it :) words and photos to come.

October 20th, 2010 at 3:34 am

9. Robert Kelly says:

Cool. Looking forward to it. Hope you saw something. One of the great things about riding the rift valley is that you have high forested mountains on either side. Completely different ranges too (the ones closer to the coast are volcanic arcs). You’re also, if you didn’t know, right on the seam of the junction of the Philippine and Eurasian plates. Very active place tectonically speaking.

October 20th, 2010 at 3:40 am